A hose is often an essential tool for cleaning various items and spaces that may not be very close to a water source. This is generally quite simple for those who lives in homes with a convenient water spigot located outside. But what about those who live in apartments? What options do they have?
Various adapters exist to convert an indoor faucet — such as the one at your kitchen sink or in the shower — into a tap that can take a standard garden hose. This can get a little messy, but using long expandable hose can give you options without requiring hard work to store.
While people often hook a hose to an outdoor spigot and run it to wherever they need water, this isn’t always an option. Luckily, there’s almost no place where you can’t use your hose, as long as the area has a water supply. Let’s look at how you can hook up a hose without a classic tap.
How Do You Hook Up A Hose Without A Tap?
To hook up your hose without a tap, you usually have to hook your hose to a place higher than where you want to use the water. For example, you can connect your hose to your shower head. You will need thread seal tape (on Amazon), a garden hose to shower pipe adapter (also on Amazon), your hose, and pliers to do this.
First, remove the shower head, then clean the shower arm pipe and remove any old seal tape. Apply new thread tape to the shower arm, then thread the female side of your adapter onto the pipe. Use the pliers to tighten the adapter to avoid leaks, and then attach your hose and screw it in. Now you can easily run the tap.
How to Use a Hose in an Apartment
- Use Spigots to Connect a Hose to Balconies: In some homes, the distance between the balcony and the water supply is sometimes very far, and it can be a hassle to carry water such long distances. With the aid of outdoor fixtures, you can easily connect your hose and use it to run water your plants on the balcony.
- Make Use of a Lever Adapter: This is a brilliant way to attach a hose to an unthreaded faucet. The lever helps in pressing down the rubber ring with a very tight seal. To make this work perfectly, you have to purchase an adapter that fits with the faucet to reduce the probability of leaks even at high pressures.
- Connect to Pressure Washer: You can easily connect your hose to the water inlet of your pressure washer, which is used to wash vehicles, paints, and other surfaces in the house. The hose helps to convey water from long distances and shoot out highly pressurized water through the attached nozzle. To connect and disconnect your home efficiently, you can add a water splitter. This tool can also help reduce the speed of the water flowing to your washer.
- Soaker Hoses: You could also use a hose as a soaker hose. This type of hose is only used for setting plants as a source of irrigation. The hose looks just like a garden hose; however, it has a lot of tiny pores all around it, which allows it to bring out water at even yet very low pressure steadily. With the aid of a soaker hose, you don’t need to come to check your garden every time as this system is very effective and easy to maintain.
- Use an Expandable Hose: If you’re in an apartment, using a long expandable hose like the Delxo Expandable 100Ft. Garden Hose (on Amazon) will allow you to store the hose more easily when not in use, and it’ll also allow you to expand it to plenty of length–all the way from your sink out into the yard or garden–without too much fuss. This is a great option if your situation is already forcing you to use a sink or shower for your hose.